Saturday, 9 April 2016

The Ultimate Date Night

So at the end of last year I entered a Travel Supermarket competition to win a luxury City break in NYC for two. Can you believe it - I won! I was giving the boys a bath when the email from Cathy Toogood, (Travel Supermarket editor) came through, and I was in complete shock. I wondered if it was 'toogood' to be true! Well, normally date night for my husband and me consists of putting the boys put to bed, lighting some candles, and having a couple of glasses of wine while watching a movie. I don't like bothering people to babysit in the evenings, plus, I have to keep those favours for days I have appointments or work. Needless to say, my husband and I really could use a nice little city break, just the two of us, so this came at a great time!



It wasn't the first time we had left Jack. We had taken ourselves off to Paris for a few days when he was 3. But it was the first time I had ever left Noah for more than a night. I knew he would be fine at his grannies house, with Maisey (the dog) and his big bro. And I was right. They had an amazing time. Granny sent us loads of photos and videos, and we made lots of phone calls. The rest of the time we were too busy to pine for the boys!

Our parents were great. They worked together to leave us/pick us up from the airport and look after the boys on certain days. Without their support we couldn't have enjoyed this wonderful time together!



We flounced around NYC, enjoying the sights and sounds of this exciting city. We've actually both been a couple of times before, but this was the longest stint, and the most enjoyable. We were put up in luxury accommodation (different than the first time when I stayed in a youth hostel with 15 other strangers in my room!) 


I think the most enjoyable thing for me was the food. I wanted to try everything, but there was just so much and so little time! New Yorkers sure know how to do breakfast. And lunch. And dinner for that matter. It has inspired me to try a little harder when making dinner. If it is possible to get this much enjoyment from food, I want to experience it every day!











So, this post has definitely been a bit different from my usual posts. My regular readers will know my blog is family orientated and more often about the kids - that's because you'll usually find us together. And that's how it should be. But this was such a treat for us. A little break from nappies, buggies, and tantrums. Just each other to focus on. We felt like a couple of teenagers again, and probably behaved like so. Thank you so much to Travel Supermarket and eBookers for an unforgettable holiday. It truly was the ultimate date night(s). It'lljust take me a while to get back in to the swing of things with school runs etc. And it's gonna take a few days to kick this jet lag. Totally worth it though!

25 comments:

  1. What an awesome and sweet time - just the two of you - and no worries about the boys as they were receiving such wonderful care from the grandparents! Thanks for linking on Amanda's Books and More.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing competition win and totally deserved! Looks like you made the most of your time in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your heart was pounding when you read the email. Just fabulous. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous photos of an amazing win. It looks like you had a great time. I particularly like the first shot. #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an amazing prize. Wonderful photos, it looks so vibrant and a lot of fun. #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an amazing prize to win! Spectacular photos too. You should come link them up to my travel photo linky #CheckOutThatView

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I will! Thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  7. Wow what an opportunity and some lovely photos to remember your trip

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic shots. Amazing place isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I really want to go to NYC and how lovely to get to spend some quality time together. #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks like a lot of fun. How amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely prize! You both look so good on cams and together like your kids!! And your photos are lovely =)

    #MySundayPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha your 'normal' date nights sound very similar to ours!! Although this NYC date night looks so much better. Congratulations on winning this amazing break, what a special and amazing prize. And as always you've taken some gorgeous pictures. Thank you so much for linking to #mycaptutedmoment xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what an amazing prize, I am very envious! I think it does us so good as parents to have a break away together as a couple every now and again- looks like you guys had a fabulous time! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on winning the City Break, your photos are amazing. I've never been to New York and to be honest I never really thought of going, but your photos are certainly selling me the idea!

    #MyCapturedMoment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you should go, Debbie. I'm pretty sure you'd love it. It's somewhere you should be experience at least once!

      Delete
  15. How great! Seems like the perfect treat for two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How amazing! I've actually never been to NY but would love to go. Looks like you had a great time. I've actually just won a city beak in Europe with a travel blog conference but don't know where I am going - its a surprise! #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow competition winner! Congrats! Everyone keeps saying they didn't think it was actually possible to win these things and I guess I didn't either! It's nice to hear of another win! Enjoy your break!

      Delete
  17. Wow! Congratulations on winning such a fabulous prize! What a treat. Being able to spend time together as a couple is so important and what a way to do it. I love New York - we got engaged there - I think a revisit is needed at some point. Thanks so much for linking to #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is amazing, what a prize! I haven't been to NYC since I was 18 but I'd love to visit again with the husband (and his wallet) this time ;) #citytripping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Hope he's not a 'stings'. (My husband never loosens the purse strings!)

      Delete
    2. Autocorrect! That was 'stinge'

      Delete
  19. Wow what a fab prize! Great photos too. We love NYC it is such an incredible city:) #CityTripping

    ReplyDelete