Saturday, 6 February 2016

No Day for Divis


"Sure, if you let the weather stop you, we'd never go anywhere" is what I said this morning when I looked out the window to see dark clouds and grey sky. I'm well and truly sick of winter weather now, and every Saturday is turning out to be rubbish. Well, I got us all hopped up into some warm and waterproof gear and decided we would brave the rain and head to Mount Divis.



I thought it was mild despite the drizzle, but once we got up there and the rain was beating sideways against our faces, and on the higher exposed ground, it turned out to be pretty cold. Jack and Noah hated it. Jack wanted to turn back. So, we did. Fail. 





"My face is cold, Mummy"






We cheered ourselves up with a gravy chip on the way home, and when we got back we were pleased to find the postman had left us a little gift from The Magic Door Store. 


This turned out to be the perfect rainy day activity. 
What's the story behind the door? It was created by Sarah, who loved to hunt for fairies at the bottom of her garden when she was a child, and now found herself having just as much fun creating make-believe worlds for her own two kids. The door encourages kids to use their imagination, and create their own stories about elf and fairy friends that might visit us through the door.


We were also sent some magic 'Fairy dust' and a stencil to create some elf footprints. Jack enjoyed this, but with lots of fairy dust left over he might have just had more fun becoming an elf himself, and using the dust to blow at us to 'grant wishes'. He asked what I wished for. "Better weather next weekend" says I. PUFF! Glitter everywhere!




Daddy wished not to be covered in glitter- wish denied!




We were also sent some numbers to personalise our door. Our elves live here. What a cute idea.


Thanks so much to The Magic Door Store for this fun activity which would make a great little gift for any kids you know that might like to invite some elves and fairies in to their bedroom!

22 comments:

  1. Loving the horses but that sideways rain is always a killer isn't it? What a gorgeous fairy door, I think my girls would love one of those #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry the expedition was rained out. Never any fun. Those are some gorgeous photos though :)! Love that elf door, I could see my daughter loving it! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! We were meant to go and see the snowdrops yesterday but the wind and the rain was too bad. I hope Jack and Noah have plenty of fun with their fairy door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are braver than me, I can feel the cold through these photos. Which are still beautiful! I am not good with the cold and getting so fed up of winter now- roll on spring! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great photos, it looks so cold. Well done on getting out and about xx #Sundaysnap

    ReplyDelete
  6. That weather looks very England

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the weather really does win, we have had a weekend like that. Well done for trying, a little drizzle is fine, quite fun sometimes but torrential rain is no fun especially with the wind too, Jack's face says it all this week but 10 out of 10 for effort. Love the little elf door. Thank you for linking with me at Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha... love the little fairy door and fairy dust! My girls would love that, although my husband is not a big fan of glitter. Not great when he has two (soon to be three) girls. As always beautiful shots that really demonstrates the season and weather. Thank you so much for joining #MyCapturedMoment xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a day like this on Saturday in North Wales - similar weather conditions to Ireland! Beautiful photos, have just followed you on ig to see more! #MagicMoments

    Nicole (www.thebrightnessofthesedays.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is never a fail to get children out and about seeing the magic of nature but I can understand why you enjoyed returning to a warmer bit of magic. It looks brilliant and I love that a boy liked it as suggests Mum has all the right values

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a shame about the weather, well done for getting out though. The fairy door sounds magical. #Whatevertheweather

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh that does look freezing! Well done you for getting our regardless though, I think we need to start getting out whatever the weather xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your adventure may have been a bust, but you got some lovely images. I love the idea of the Fairy Doors. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh bless his little sad face! I hope the Fairy Door cheered him up. I love the idea of these, another brilliant invention which I would have loved as a child #mywildones

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your pictures are gorgeous. Happy to see you've found an activity to do inside where it's nice and warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh bless you, it does look pretty soggy up there. That waterproof all in one is fab! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, poor Jack I don't think I've seen any photos of him upset before, it was clearly a bad day outside. It's horrible when the weather stops you getting out, Ibgate being cooped up inside, as do the boys. Your elf door looks fab and a great activity for the kids, love the cute blowing fairy dust photos, it looks like daddy ate the magic dust! Thanks for linking up to #Whatevertheweather :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so brave to go out in that weather. The rain down in Cornwall when it's like that literally freezes and drowns you in seconds. But what a great rainy day activity to do. I love those little doors so much. I really want one for my little girls room. Such a lovely idea.Thank you so much for sharing with #whatevertheweather. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. You get an A for effort! Even though it was a soggy washout, you all still look adorable. Glad you had a pick-me-up waiting in the post when you got home.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh it looks cold! Something similar happened to us on our honeymoon in the Lakes - I was not appropriately dressed either and was very cold! That pony looks very fed up!

    Thanks for linking up to #MyWildOnes xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh dear, the weather really does look miserable - well done for getting out at all, I don't think we would have had the motivation! #MyWildOnes

    ReplyDelete