Thursday, 20 August 2015

Kitchen Makeover


I think it's fair to say I have not been the most dedicated blogger this past year or so. Family life, as it should, comes first. I gave myself a year off after Noah was born, and during that year I set my mind to fixing up the house on a budget. So, school runs, babies, DIY and all those other things get in the way of blogging, but I'm sure you all understand.


We bought the house 6 and a half years ago. I made plenty of decorating mistakes back then. (I'm still not an expert and continue to make blunders.) But my Mum has been teaching me that 'white paint is not just white paint' and the direction your room faces matters when it comes to shades and colours. Pinterest and Houzz are sources of inspiration too. Subsequently, I've developed a bit of an interest in interiors and design.

In recent years our kitchen had stopped functioning. The layout was bad and after Noah came along we simply hadn't got enough room to all sit around a table together. Jack was still in his highchair (aged 3!) so something had to change. The bad wooden floors were warped and scuffed and the wooden cabinets looked dated. 


It was amazing what a few simple changes made. I just moved the table at a 90 degree angle against the wall, which opened up both sides. Problem: where to put Noah's high chair which was too low for the bench? Solution: Clip on Mountain Buggy highchair. Seriously one of the best items I've ever bought.

This gave me more room for a useful sidetable and some shelving. There's no good in marrying a talented illustrator if you're not going to coerce him in to creating some wall art for your vision. (Note: the wall art is of cuts of meat from beef and pork. Hard to explain to your 4 year old vegetarian-at-heart) 

Ikea FORHOJA kitchen trolly £80      /       Ikea GRUNDTAL wall shelving £19 each




The new tiled floor (by far the most costly change) and the rearrangement worked so well it inspired me to go that bit further and paint the old wooden cabinets. I was really worried about this. I even got a few quotes from professionals, but we were talking almost a grand and my husband convinced me we could do it ourselves. He was right. It took an entire week, but I love the new colour! It feels so modern compared to the orange-tinged wood. 

Walls: Craig and Rose Acrylic Eggshell Chinese White     /    Cabinets : Farrow and Ball Purbeck Stone Estate Eggshell Paint      




Ikea BOSSE Bar stools £25 each (Cut to size)



You may have noticed my boys enjoying the new family-friendly kitchen in the cutest matching pyjama sets? The lovely people over at Powell Craft sent the boys a pair each (Noah wears the various vehicles design, and Jack is rocking the Tractor version) They're beautifully hand-crafted and made from soft cotton. Noah looks all grown up in a two piece. The family-run business, Powell Craft design some amazing vintage-inspired clothing, homewares and even toys.

Up until now Powell Craft has been wholesale, available at all good kidswear stockists. As of next week their brand new website launches at www.powellcraft.com - I'm excited to see the new site. Thanks so much to the brand for sending these gorgeous jammies to the boys.




So, all in all, the not-really-brand-new, but feels brand-new kitchen is functioning so much better. I'm really enjoying being in it! So inspired was I by a lick of paint and some rearranging that I have become super motivated (my husband would say I've lost the plot) and basically re-painted and rearranged 75% of the house. I'm still going. I'm currently painting the landing and stairs (having just finished the downstairs hallway and the back room)
Hope you enjoyed seeing the kitchen makeover, and perhaps this goes some way to explaining my longer absences between blog posts. You know. Since I found paint. And lost my mind.


Here's our week that was. I've cheated a bit and used some of photos from a couple of weeks ago.

1. Rainy family weekend away
2. Love these two rascals
3. Dabbling with Great Nana
4. He loves brushing his 6 little pegs
5. More DIY (forgive me husband.)
6. Building sandcastles
7. Ring-a-ring-rosies
8. Married to this dreamboat 6 years tomorrow! Happy Anniversary x

30 comments:

  1. Oh wow I have major kitchen envy! I love all the little details and I especially love your two clocks and I want them both!! It all looks amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look kitchen! And the pictures of the boys are gorgeous. The pyjamas are incredibly cute #OrdinaryMoments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kitchen it looks so modern and I love the boys matching PG's, Clio lending a helping hand for Coombe Mill

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks gorgeous, what a great job you all have done. We have recently redone our bathroom and I would love a kitchen makeover, but sadly it's the last thing on our list to do! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen is gorgeous! And I love the boys pyjamas, they are fab. You really are a fantastic photographer, I love all the photos of the boys eating oranges together. Very sweet. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Home magazine worthy photos and design! I am so jealous of your new kitchen =) #mysundayphoto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, thank you so much. X

      Delete
  7. Wow! I super LOVE your kitchen and the boys are so cute with their matching pj's. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful kitchen so modern, fresh and stylish. Lovely pictures :)

    Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen looks beautiful! Thanks for linking up at the Talbert Zoo. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your boys are beautiful!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/bennett-place-bit-of-history.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new kitchen and wish we could do updates, but we lease and theres no way Im going to even ask. I love the little additions on the top of the cupboards with a few plants and storage. And the cupboards turned out perfect and look so fresh.

    I love to browse on Houzz so many cool homes and great ideas!!

    The boys are darling as always, love the last photo with Jacks expression, that one could have all sorts of captions.

    Thanks for sharing on Oh My Heartsie Girl this week. hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how it turned it. Made a world of difference! Great job! And glad to have you back. :) Thanks for linking up over at Toronto Teacher Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the kitchen and the photos of your cute family. Thanks for sharing at #OMHGWW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE that first pic, with the orangie smiles!

    http://www.homeofohm.com/2015/08/random-pics-from-my-bc-vacation.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pictures! Your kitchen turned out really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That look fab, I love the transformation. We did a kitchen makeover many years ago and the difference it made was huge. Lovely pics of the boys too x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow your kitchen looks great! It's great what a bit of paint can do! Love the floor as well. Great photos and happy anniversary! #MyCapturedMoment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really very nice!! The children are a delight! Have a grand day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The kitchen looks amazing! And that shot of your boys eating oranges is just fab #mycapturesmoment x

    ReplyDelete
  20. This truly is a beautiful space! Love the clean, light, airy look!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've really been wanting to paint our kitchen cabinets and I may just go ahead and do it now! Stunning makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fantastic, I love all the little touches and the boys are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful kitchen make-over!! I love a white kitchen, we did ours a couple of years ago and I still love it. Your pictures are all beautiful. Love the ones of the boys and their oranges!! Thank you so much for linking up xx #MyCapturedMoment

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love their pj's! And your kitchen makeover is fab, it's amazing what a lick of paint and some rearranging can do. It looks so much bigger and more modern #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
  26. It appears that you have turned things around after 6 years: great furnishings, a fine paint job, a very pleasing layout, and some Impressive flooring. It is a constant learning process – but so far, so good. I like the advice that your mother gave you about not just throwing white paint around without a thought in it. Anyway, thanks for sharing!

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely compliments, Arthur. I wish I had taken before pictures before the new floor and rearrangement too. It's so much better than it used to be! A nice living space.

      Delete