Sunday, 6 October 2013

Gingerbread and Sprinkles



"How long now, Mummy?"

I've caught the 'homemade' bug. I've joined a furniture upcycling course, I'm growing my own fruit and we make our own bread from scratch (albeit in a breadmaker, does it still count?) I've been so inspired by the Great British Bake off this year that I even thought that this Christmas Jack and I could give some home made biscuits as gifts. Well. I am in no way the best baker in the world. I'm not even good. So I thought I had better start practicing right now if I was going to improve my baking to gifting standard! Plus, I was looking forward to trying out my new Gingerbread man and Christmas cookie cutters from Dotcomgiftshop. Jack helped to cut them out, and was most disappointed to find out they had to be baked before we could decorate them. 15 minutes (not including cooling time) seemed like an eternity to the wee chap. Finally came the fun part. Clearly Jack does not concur with the theory 'less is more'. Oh jeekers, did he make a mess. And what a rascal he was. For every sugar ball placed on a cookie, he insisted on eating one.

We also made our family out of gingerbread! Check us out. We're not to scale. Obviously. That would be terrifying. Unfortunately Mummy biscuit met an untimely demise...


After fishing Jack's cookies out of a mound of sprinkles and sugar balls, we parceled them up this cute little gift box as an early Christmas present to cheer up Granda Bill who is in hospital at the minute. However, I'm pretty sure they should include a health warning. Like, don't eat any more than one at once... or any at all. Unless you want to slip into a diabetic coma. Note to self: provide less choice of sugary toppings next time. I'm still a bit jittery. And Jack has been bouncing off the walls all day.




Jack was wearing the wooly jester long sleeve tee sent to us by one of our smashing sponsors, Opus. 'Creative clothing for creative children' like my little baker here. Thanks guys! 

30 comments:

  1. Love these bright (yet muted) images, and the colors too.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the gingerbread family! We love having a baking afternoon too, it's simple but messy (or at least it is in our house) and a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gingerbread family is adorable and Jack even more so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was too much fun. you and Jack made some lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet! I always think the imperfect ones are the most charming! The memories are what count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what fun! These are all fabulous images and I love how they feel so soft, yet playful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are gorgeous. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jack is so cute and the cookies look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so FUN! This brings back memories of making mitten cookies with my own sons one winter! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun, especially when they are for someone special :) I, too, have been thinking alot more about homemade gifts this Christmas, I'm so tired of buying things all of the time!

    Stopping by from Make my Saturday Sweet, Dawn from http://www.IThinkWeCouldBeFriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable activity to try with a young kiddo! I should try it with my two boys.

    Kelly (visiting from www.ourconezone.com)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kid decorated cookies are the best kind of cookies. :) Thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very much like how baking goes in our house! The fun is in the making of the mess and the cheeky eating of the sweet bits that should go in the cake! I love his curly locks...too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photographs. My kids love baking together with me more than anything else at the minute. Maybe Jack would like making some homemade playdough? #theordinarymoments

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! And it sounds very much like the baking that goes on in our house too. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the photos and your child is so adorable!

    I wish I could get the homemade bug. I fear I shall make a mess of everything.

    You on the other hand is doing great!

    Visiting from #SSSHop

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww! he definitely enjoyed it all heheh!

    Have a tanfastic week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so fun! I love the Gingerbread Family.
    Your son has amazing hair x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy and fun! What a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story telling! Too funny! And, of course, the photos are always magical.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He looks like he had a blast! I love the little ginger bread family!

    http://theapels.blogspot.com/2013/10/ww-hummel-park-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jacks sparkly eyes amaze me, he has so much enthusiasm for everything, outdoors or in!! He is just handsome!!
    Thanks for stopping by!!:)
    Oh My Heartsie Girl
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great sequence of photos. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that your dog seems to have been a big help too. :)

    ReplyDelete