Friday, 13 September 2013

Nature Boy


Winter is coming. So long warm summer sun that shines through the curtains in the mornings, and hello to layers of clothing just to try and keep warm in the house. The nights are getting darker faster now. I'm just not ready for it. You see, Irish winters aren't just cold. They're constantly wet too. Well. Today was dry at least, and I thought I had better take advantage of the last of this mild weather. So off we popped to our local forest.

Our friends from dotcomgiftshop kindly sent Jack an enormous box full of goodies the other week. Jack has been dying to get playing with the delightful toys it contained! Today we decided to go hunting for spiders and bugs with the Nature Trail set. And apparently crabs too. "No, there wont be any crabs in the forest" I explained. "There is!" came the reply. "No, crabs live in the sea" says I. "Me find crabs with my new 'noculars!" Well. I guess there's no harm in looking. Anything for a quiet life. And when did my boy become so contrary anyway?


Of course when you're actually looking for spiders, there's not a single one about. There was plenty of webs though. "Which way should we go to look?" I asked him, pointing to the compass. "Four O'clock" he answered. It's hard for a 2 year old to understand a compass. To be fair it does look a lot like a clock. We spied lots of fallen foliage and acorns through the magnifying glass. But he was particularly taken with the binoculars. Wouldn't you be? How fun it was to look at the ducks out on the lake. As it always is with a new toy, Jack insisted the binoculars come to bed with him. So I have temporarily removed the string and as I write this, Jack is sleeping soundly with teddy by his side and his binoculars clutched tightly in those perfect little hands. Bless.

Thanks for making this little boys day, dotcomgiftshop







"Sure you can have a smile Mum, as long as you don't mind me smiling LIKE THIS!"

39 comments:

  1. I love that big chunky knit sweater!
    Thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute pictures that capture his exploration! I love your use of depth of field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are precious! I'm swooning over those blonde curls. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! My girl LOVES nature walks and anything outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family loves doing things outside and that nature kit looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing! I found your post through Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters.
    www.dottodotconnections.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely pictures! I must say, your son's style is amazing! I would wear his outfit for sure :) All of those nature toys look like so much fun! We have a membership here in NYC to the Botanical Gardens, and their education program loans out similar gear to go on scavenger hunts. We always have a wonderful time taking my boyfriend's daughter there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daina,
      That sounds amazing! What a good idea to loan nature trail gear out!

      Delete
  7. What a cutie! This looks neat!
    http://thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post, I love your little ones hair, too cute and just like us we love to be outdoors :)

    Just popping by from Creative Monday
    Laura x
    www.sidestreetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I love that sweater to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't get over how much taller he seems in these photos. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is a handsome young man!!
    Hope you have a chance to stop by What Did I Make Yesterday WW

    Oh My Heartsie Girl
    Karren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos of your handsome little one! Thank you for linking up at Words for Wednesday!

    Sara-Jayne
    http://www.keep-up-with-the-jones-family.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. fab photos he loves his binoculars heheh!

    Have a tanfastic week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute pics of your son this week!

    http://royalegacy.blogspot.com/2013/09/wordless-wednesday-with-linky-big.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh those gorgeous GORGEOUS curls!!

    http://www.homeofohm.com/2013/09/wordlesswednesday-oh-starbucksw-linky.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that sweater, wish it fit me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness, so sweet!
    http://www.howtosurvivelifeinthesuburbs.com/2013/09/how-to-survive-school-lunches-in-the-suburbs.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute little boy! I am stopping over from the mom Diaries Link up . I am one of your newest google followers.Would love for you to visit
    http://thisolemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous boy you have, absolutely angelic. His mama's a pretty awesome photographer too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love all the nature poses and the boots and sweater make it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adorable...I love that sweater and the boots are great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how the green and brown of his clothes and toys match the green and brown trees and ground! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness so stinking adorable, so glad you shared this post on Simple Things Sunday. I've added a pic to the #SimpleThingsSunday board on Pinterest here: http://www.pinterest.com/stacyofksw/simple-things/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is amazing. Love the washed-out look on some of these. The colors in general are very good. So happy to have discovered your blog through the Little Things Thursday blog. Following now! :D If you have the time, come check out my photo-blog too.

    Greetings!
    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great blog, thanks for the invite! I'm following you back now too.

      Delete
    2. I just saw it. Thanks for that! Have been browsing through your blog. So many great things to see!

      Delete
  25. What a fun adventure! Jack is always adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great array of photos! And one lucky little boy ... and a lucky mom.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, my, but what a wonderful series of shots! You boy is TOO cute, and it was fun to read through your post and look at the pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhhh my! What a truly beautiful series. What lens do you use! I want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. These were taken with my trusty 1.4 35mm.

      Delete
  29. These are some of the best photos of Jack! He makes a great little model. I love how the nature colors match his nature kit. Thanks for linking on Amanda's Books and More!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kid's learn so much when they just get out in nature. We had a less exotic nature experience in our backyard just this morning. You might be interested in the book we were using (it has backyard science activities). You can see it here: http://www.typativemamacat.com/2013/10/easy-science-with-discovering-nature.html

    ReplyDelete