Monday, 19 August 2013

Crab Catchers at Dusk



I've always had a fascination with crabs. When I was wee, my Pappy taught us how to fish for crabs, using an unfortunate limpet tied to the end of a string. So I was excited to see what Jack made of it on our recent holiday in Co. Donegal, Ireland. The waters were a little choppy, and we were losing the light, but, says I, 'we're not leaving 'til Jack catches a crab!' Pappy Jack had kindly made Jack Jr. a rod of his very own. It was the same as all the other rods (a bamboo stick with a hook and string) but a little bit smaller, and my Nanny insisted it has a stopper at the end to protect little eyes! Safety first, friends! 

Luckily, the wee beasties didn't disappoint and took the bait. We caught a bucket full. Big and small. Mummy here was the only one brave enough to pick them up. Their strength never ceases to amaze me. What spirited little fighters they are! Like little boxers, they're always ready for fisty cuffs. As usual, when we're done marvelling at the creatures, we let them go. It's funny to see them all scuttle away and 'buckleap' off the side of the pier. And what did Jack make of them? He was intrigued and terrified all at the same time. I still can't get a straight answer out of him. Sometimes, when I ask what he thought of the crabs he tells me they are a "wee bit scary - nip me" (he says this while making pincer movements with his hands. I can assure you that no crab got close enough to Jack to pinch him!) Other times he tells me they're just plain "nice".

The little man was wearing a thrifted coat from the Rusty Zip. His hat and boots are both supplied by two kind sponsors, Ingugu and Hunter.




"Go free our crustacean compatriots"

25 comments:

  1. Jack is very brave! Go, Jack! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics and atmosphere

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love his red Hunter wellies. I've been hinting for a pair for two years. ;). Crabbing looks fun. What a great family activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a terrific family day! And the crabbing brings back childhood memories for me. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos looks like a graet day out x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I stubled upone your blog! Your photos are super inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great photos! I'm glad you had the fun crabbing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i found you through Katie's linky. what a beautiful blog you have! and what a brave little man, my daughter refuses to go near the nippers! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh we used to go crab fishing in Anglesey as a special treat! What a reminder - thank you :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous photos- and it is lovely to find your blog, it is new to me. I have fond memories of going crabbing when I was little, and I would definitely like to take my girls one day. Thanks so much for joining in. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. what fun, love the red hunter boots

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love seeing the "behind the scenes" shots as well as those of little man Jack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those shots.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures of a truly awesome memory. I love that he was catching them with just a stick and string rig up...so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hari OM
    Oh that takes me back to daddy teaching me to "guddle" trout in the burns of the Scottish Highlands! In up to the hips in freezing water and then scoop the wee fishies oot !!!!

    Thanks for linking up at LESS SPEAK MORE PEEK! Have a great week. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds magical, Yamini. Or maybe it's just how scottish it all sounds! I have a wee thing for Scotland and love visiting! x

      Delete
  16. So cute! I'm glad you let them go. Just yesterday Amanda insisted that we take her fishing. I don't know why. All of a sudden it's a big deal, and she's made up her mind that since she's never been, she must have a go at it. Come link up on Amanda's Books and More!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I've ever seen a cuter shot than that first one! Jack is so darling and I just love his outfit. Those Hunter boots are so adorable!

    Visiting from Tuesday Muse :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow these are sure to be good times, many memories from my childhood just filled my mind, Thanks for that.

    Thank you for linking with us, happy WW

    ReplyDelete
  19. What lovely lovely shots I just adore the tones and how the tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, this is beautiful. Very stylish little one!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the pea coat and red rainboots! Pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete